Basic Guidelines for Keeping Batteries Safe
The batteries we use in our vaporizers are not the same as the ones we use in our daily lives. Vaping batteries are more powerful. for which they need certain care, in addition, to be handled with caution. This is why, although certain tips on battery care may be somewhat obvious for those who have been in the world of vaping for some time, for all those users who are starting to use Mods and 18650 batteries it can be very useful.
Here are some tips on basic battery care, however keep in mind that this is a general list of battery precautions, not a specialist guide to mechanical mods.
- Keep the battery case intact: You must always make sure that the plastic that covers the batteries is in perfect condition. If we notice that this coating has a defect or imperfection, it is best to change that wrapper.
- Use the right batteries: There are batteries that are designed more for low power vaping, while others are better for sub-ohm vaping. When choosing the batteries for your Mod, do some research on them, or ask the experts at your vaping shop. They will be able to advise you on which are the most recommended batteries for your device.
- Use cases to store batteries: You should never carry batteries loose when you are not using them, as they can short-circuit if they come into contact with metal objects, which can lead to discharge or even a possible explosion. It is best to get plastic or silicone covers or cases to protect them from any eventual problem.
- Stay away from counterfeits: Batteries, like many other things, also suffer from the problem of counterfeits. Always buy batteries from reputable outlets that you know only sell authentic and authorized items.
- Use a specialized charger: Charging the batteries directly in the Mods today is possible in practically all devices. However, it is always preferable to use a specialized external battery charger.
- Do not leave batteries charging unattended: Even if you are using an external charger, batteries should not be left charging carelessly and without supervision. Although it is very rare, any electronic device is susceptible to a failure, even if it is not usual and despite all the security systems they include. So it is best to always take a look at the battery charge.
- Do not discharge the batteries below the limits: As far as possible, it is best that the batteries do not go below their limits. In general, lithium ion batteries tend to lose capacity the further they are discharged. Most electronic Mods come with battery indicators so you can tell when to charge them.
- Avoid extreme temperatures: Batteries usually withstand high and low temperatures well, but it is best not to test their limits. Very high temperatures can damage batteries, causing them to reduce their useful life. Conversely, very cold temperatures influence the capacity of batteries.
- Use batteries in pairs: If you are using a Mod that has more than one battery, you must remember to always use the same type of batteries (with the same brand, range and characteristics, in addition to the same usage time) and always keep them paired. This will ensure that the batteries will have the same number of charges and discharges and will prevent them from going out of balance, avoiding capacity or performance problems.
- Replace old batteries: Batteries only work for a certain number of cycles. Lithium ion batteries will begin to lose their capacity and strength when they have been used intensively for a long period of time. If you think that your batteries are taking less and less time to discharge or that they have lost power, it is very possible that they have already reached the end of their useful life and that it is time to replace them.
- Recycle batteries: When it comes time to replace batteries, always remember to recycle them and not just throw them away.
These are some of the tips that we consider basic and that every vaper should know in order to achieve total safety in everything that concerns electronic Mod batteries.